For the last few years, a chorus of us have been chanting that "the best camera is the one that you have with you." And I totally agree with that. But with high-end point & shoots improving in quality, and Compact System Cameras finding their stride, the "best camera with you" doesn't always have to be your mobile phone.
Don't get me wrong. I love shooting with my iPhone 4S. And there have been countless occasions where it has produced wonderful images I would not have otherwise captured. But whenever possible, I also tote a micro four thirds camera, such as an Olympus PEN, even on the most casual of family outings. Why?
- Greater choice in lenses. I can use a compact zoom or a prime lens, depending on my mood.
- Raw files. Don't need to say more here.
- Better shutter speed and aperture control.
- Bigger files, in case I want to make bigger prints.
- More options, such as flash control, metering patterns, etc.
I enjoy those moments where I can wander off for a short bit and take a few pictures. In those instances, I love having a more advanced camera... while still knowing the iPhone is in my pocket if I need it.
You can find more photo tips and "photography how tos" on my Pinterest page.