This is The Digital Story Podcast #557, November 8, 2016. Today's theme is "The 2017 TDS Workshop Season." I'm Derrick Story.
We started working on the 2017 photo workshop season three months ago. Every year we bring in new events and blend them with those that are still popular with our audience. What we came up with for 2017 is truly exciting. And I'm going to provide you with a complete overview in today's show.
The 2017 TDS Workshop Season
The 2017 workshop Season breaks new ground for the upcoming year. We're riding the rails from Chicago to New Orleans, learning about analog, and exploring California's wine country. Take a look at this lineup, pick your favorite, then get on our reserve list now.
Take a look at this overview, and if you see something you're interested in, fill out the "Send Me Info!" request form. By doing so, you're placed on the reserve list for the event of your choice. (That means you have first opportunity to sign up before all the seats are filled.)
- Film Photography in the Digital Age - Feb. 11-12, 2017 - We'll explore the convergence of film and digital imaging in this fascinating two-day event. Each participant receives their own SLR to use during the workshop, then to take home and keep. You will learn shooting techniques, film choices, lab vs home darkroom, digitizing, adding metadata, cataloging, and how analog photography can help you evolve as both an artist and craftsman. If you've been curious about film, this is the workshop for you. Participants receive their own camera to keep, film, and all of the amenities that our workshops are famous for - all for just $495.
- San Francisco Street Photography - April 6-9, 2017 - We'll work entirely on location in San Francisco. We'll book a hotel in picturesque Union Square that will serve as our headquarters during the event. No rental car will be necessary. We'll explore the City's hidden treasures and capture them through our lenses. And we're adding new shooting locations again this year, including twilight assignments. This is San Francisco like you've never seen it before. And as a bonus, Olympus Trailblazer Mike Boening will be joining the teaching staff and leading sessions on street shooting and night photography. Two instructors, three days, and all for just $695. (That's right, it's 3 full days in one of the most photogenic cities in the U.S.)
- The Chicago to New Orleans Rail Adventure - June 26-29, 2017 - For this unique photography workshop, we'll launch our adventure in Chicago, visiting iconic locations for street photography (and including a visit to the historic Central Camera Company). We'll then board a train called the "City of New Orleans." The route leads us through several states southbound, passing through Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, and arriving in the dynamic city of New Orleans, LA. It is approximately a 19-hour trip, starting in a city of street shooting paradise, traveling through lush, beautiful landscapes, and ending in the Deep South in a city rich in culture, history, and of course, a myriad of photographic possibilities. We'll then explore the French Quarter and other intriguing locations within NOLA. You'll fly into Chicago, then out of New Orleans. What a trip! Four days including train fare: only $795
- The Northern CA Coast Tour - Mid August 2017, 2017 - After congregating in Santa Rosa, our adventure begins at the mouth of the Russian River where it meets the Pacific Ocean in Jenner, CA. For the next three days, we caravan north, exploring Fort Ross State Park, Salt Point State Park, Sea Ranch, Gualala, and Point Arena. We then head inland to Boonville, continuing to Highway 101, where we return to the TDS Studio on Santa Rosa. Three days, thousands of images, only $695.
- Autumn in Wine Country: Late October, 2017 - Would you like to combine your interest in wine tasting with your passion for photography? And how about doing so during one of the most beautiful times of year in Northern California Wine Country: Fall. We'll spend the mornings fine tuning our photography skills and shooting on location, and our afternoons wine tasting and learning about the entire process, from growing the grapes, to harvesting, to making the wine itself. This is the perfect workshop to bring a friend because the afternoon sessions are open to both paid workshop attendees, and to one friend. Three days: $595
For more information, visit the TDS Workshops page.
In the News
$400 Price Drop on the Fujifilm X-T1
Thanks to the introduction of the X-T2, we're seeing substantial price drops on the X-T1, which is now available for $899.
This is highly specified camera that has enjoyed numerous firmware updates to help keep it current. And right now, it's a great deal.
Luminar for the Mac
I've been testing a pre-release version of Luminar, both as a standalone app and as an Editing Extension for Photos for macOS. And after improving countless images, I can tell you that I really like this software. I've already integrated it into my photography workflow.
And now you can secure a copy for yourself. If you pre-order before Nov. 17th, you'll receive Luminar at a discounted price, plus two bonuses, all for only $49 total (existing Macphun customers) or for $59 (new customers).
I explain what Luminar is in this third segment of the show.
Updates and Such
Big thanks to all of our Patreon members! I was able to pay for the podcast server and the backup system from last month's pledges. Your contributions are making a positive impact.
I'll be announcing the 2017 TDS Workshop season next week. And I have to tell you, this is our most exciting lineup to date. Keep eye peeled!
B&H and Amazon tiles on www.thedigitalstory. If you click on them first, you're helping to support this podcast. And speaking of supporting this show, and big thanks to our Patreon Inner Circle members.
And finally, be sure to visit our friends at Red River Paper for all of your inkjet supply needs.
See you next week!
More Ways to Participate
Red River Paper - Keep up with the world of inkjet printing, and win free paper, by liking Red River Paper on Facebook.
MacPaw Creators of CleanMyMac 3 and other great software for Apple computers. Visit www.macpaw.com today.
Hedge for Mac - The fast solution for moving photos and videos from memory cards to drives, or drives to drives for that matter. Learn more at Hedge for Mac.
The Nimbleosity Report
Do you want to keep up with the best content from The Digital Story and The Nimble Photographer? Sign up for The Nimbleosity Report, and receive highlights twice-a-month in a single page newsletter. Be a part of our community!
Want to Comment on this Post?
You can share your thoughts at the TDS Facebook page, where I'll post this story for discussion.